The plates for 1964 are lightweight steel, painted white with red lettering. The backs of the plates are painted white. These plates have long, oval slots. The plates with the goldpanner have a "nugget" of gold paint in the gold pan; the goldpanner is embossed.
There are several varieties of commercial plates for this year:
- Ln Lnn-series for livery (taxi) vehicles
- Rn Rnn-series for recovery vehicles (tow trucks)
- Tn Tnn Tnnn Tnnnn-series for trucks
- PSVn PSVnn PSVnnn-series for public service vehicles (PSVs). What are PSVs?
- FTn FTnn FTnnn-series for through freighter (freighter-through) trucks. Some through freighter plates from this year carried only digits with the inscription THRU FR'T'R on the top; these were manufactured in error.
Federal government: Xn Xnn Xnnn Xnnnn Xn·nnn
Federal (dominion) government vehicles carried dark grey plates with green lettering from 1951 to 1982. Some lettering is turquoise due to a bad paint batch. Some with four-digit numbers had a dot between the first and second digits.